Saturday, July 26, 2008

The first night.

The first night after surgery is never a pleasant night's sleep. Besides being in pain, there are all sorts of disturbances. My IV was hooked up to a machine that sounded like a hard drive crashing, over and over and over. Concerned nurses appeared constantly to check me out and take my vitals. Even my bed conspired against me, constantly adjusting its firmness automatically, to keep bedsores to a minimum. If ever there is a time to regret donating a kidney to a stranger, this is it. Of course, I knew coming into this endeavor that there was going to be some pain involved. Having been through surgeries before, I knew the first 24 hours are the worst, and each day after would be a quantum leap in my recovery.

Though I didn't get much sleep that night, I definitely felt better the next morning. The general anesthesia had almost completely worn off, and I was able to get out of bed without too much difficulty. It wasn't all perfect though, as my new nemesis emerged...the gas.

No comments: