Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day three...

Today was my third full day of recovery. I didn't really sleep much last night; it was very stormy and the thunder kept waking me just as I was drifting off. As a result, today was a slow day for me. After getting up around 8, I messed around until we went to the farmers market. It felt great to be outside, not only to be in the fresh air, but also for the normalcy of it. People still seem shocked at the idea that I just gave away a kidney a few days ago. After returning from the market, we had a nice lunch, and I rewarded myself with a delicious percocet. It really took the edge off, and I could feel my mood improve by the minute.

For the most part, I'm still moving around slowly. If I move my body the wrong way, I get some severe pain. Overall, I feel very capable, with only a few things that I wouldn't want to do. This donation becomes more of a no-brainer everyday.

4 comments:

loraw81 said...

Anthony -
I was a nondirected donor in November 2006 with an open surgical procedure. It's nice to see that the membership of our unique club is growing!
Thanks for doing this blog to spread the word on how relatively easy and rewarding it is to give the gift of life. I've had the pleasure of meeting my recipient who is now dialysis free after six long years. Reading your entries brought back memories of my own experiences.
We just completed the National Kidney Foundation US Transplant Games. Perhaps you can join us at the Living Donor Forums in 2010?
All best wishes to you and your recipient for a smooth recovery.

adegiulio said...

Count me in!! I'll happily fill out the cheering section...

Thanks for reading the blog and for donating your kidney. I agree that it was relatively easy. People will get liposuction or other cosmetic surgery without batting an eye, but they don't realize the risk from donating a kidney is nearly the same.

loraw81 said...

The next event is summer of 2010 in Madison, WI. Visit www.transplantgames.org to learn more about it. The main point of the games is to promote organ donor awareness. The recipients compete in athletic events, and there are forums and learning sessions for living donors and donor families.

Here's the info on the contact person for your local team.
"Join our Team Liberty!
For more information contact Katherine Gallante, Team Manager, at KatherineG@kidney.org, or 212 889 2210x251.

Our Team Liberty is comprised of NY and NJ transplant recipients of all ages and skills who will compete in the 2008 U.S. Transplant Games organized by NKF in July in Pittsburgh. The presenting sponsor of the team is the New York-Presbyterian Transplant Institute."

Do you know how your recipient is doing, and the others in the paired exchange chain that you started?

adegiulio said...

Fantastic, thanks for the info. The surgeon told me that all 4 recipients were doing very well. My recipient was scheduled to leave yesterday, but I don't know if she did or not...