Friday, August 22, 2008

Finally, an update...

Fortunately, the last week has been pretty uneventful. I'm still suffering from a bit of intermittent fatigue, but for the most part I feel fine. I mowed the grass the other day and tweaked a muscle in my abdomen, so I'll take it easy next time...

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to post some pictures from the first day I met Barbara. It was at a press conference at the hospital covered by the Daily News...

Here we all are, freshly scrubbed and ready for our closeup. From left to right, Dr. Ratner, Mr. Handsomepants, Barbara, Doug, Alina, Michael, Andrew, Laura, Lucky Luther, Hospital Dude Who's Name Escapes Me, and Dr. Cohen. A fine looking bunch...




Me and Barbara moments after we first met and hugged for about a minute.




A lot of people have labeled me a "hero". Modesty forces me to reject that label, and this picture reinforces that rejection. All I did was lie on a table, these people did the hard work. Congratulations to them for a job well done.





Barbara and Mr. McDreamy. There's a lot of love in that picture. I'm endlessly grateful to Barbara for taking care of my kidney for the next few decades, rent free...





And here is a shameless attempt to have my family on the interwebs. In the back row, left to right, Aunt Kathy, Mom, Amy, Christopher, Nicole, John. In the front, Barbara, Me, Robert. Awesome...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so everyone knows, Joan Kelly coined Luther his nickname of "Lucky", I just popped it out on national tv!! Silly me!

adegiulio said...

Well, being on the list as long as he was, I think it's safe to say he was anything but lucky...Good thing Andy has such a wonderful sister...

Vicky said...

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

amen, anthony, amen

Anonymous said...

I mowed the lawn during naptime but didn't sprain or rupture or 'tweak' anything. I do need your empathy concerning the fact that, alas, there were no fresh strawberries with our concoction of bananas, Holy Cow to-go, and maraschino cherries.

harvey said...

Anthony,

The term Hero is often overused, but not so in your situation. You are truly a lifesaver!!

I am a kidney transplant recipient, my wife was my donor. I was very lucky.

I've started a non profit organization to help people in need of a kidney transplant become successful at pursuing living donation. As you know, there is such a great need and very few people donate altruistically.

I wish you well.

Harvey Mysel
Living Kidney Donors Network
A Not-for-Profit 501(c)3 Organization
hmysel@livingkidneydonorsnetwork.org
www.livingkidneydonorsnetwork.org

adegiulio said...

Harvey, thanks for the kind words! I'm sure you feel the same kind of satisfaction in doing something great that I feel. This whole event has changed me forever...

You have a lot of work in front of you for your website. Good luck!

adegiulio said...

Thanks Geoffrey for reading. Since I don't have your email address, feel free to email me at adegiulio at gmail.com